Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Nook [e-book reader]

Nook

The Barnes & Noble Nook is one of ten e-book readers you can check out from the Arts & Music desk at Forbes. Each one has over a hundred books pre-loaded on it. I recently borrowed the Kobo to read a Sherlock Holmes story I needed for a class. It was my first time taking one of these little gadgets home to bed. Despite being devoted to the printed page since 1963, I confess to a certain attraction. Imagine my wild surmise when I saw that I could read over a hundred classics in any type size I wanted, while only carrying one little tablet. Next I'm going to check out a Kindle to get a jump on the waiting list for the bestsellers that are already on it. All the e-book readers can be used with free Overdrive library e-books, too, but I didn't have time to try that feature in my two allotted weeks. My bookshelf is already getting jealous.
Here's a little sample of the authors on the Nook in my hand:
Jane Austen, two Brontës, Lewis Carroll, Mark Twain, Joseph Conrad, Charles Dickens, George Eliot, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Thomas Hardy, Aldous Huxley, Henry James, James Joyce, Franz Kafka, Sinclair Lewis, Herman Melville, Leo Tolstoy (world's lightest copy of War and Peace!), Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, P.G. Wodehouse, Virginia Woolf, Frederick Douglass, Henry Thoreau, William Shakespeare, Oscar Wilde, and W.B. Yeats. There's also a whole (virtual) shelf of books on local history in and around Northampton.



No comments:

Post a Comment