Friday, January 6, 2012

East, West

East, west stories by Salman Rushdie

I love short stories and I've made a resolution to read more of them this year. With this in mind, but as I haven't yet read any new story collections this year, I've picked an old favorite for this post. East, West is a collection of stories by British Indian author Salman Rushdie. Rushdie's writing here is witty and colorful, and these stories, are quick, enjoyable reads. Rushdie draws inspiration from a variety of sources, both classic (Shakespeare, the life of Muhammad) and modern (The Wizard of Oz, Rambo, Star Trek). The plots are not particularly memorable (I've read the volume several times but can never quite remember how the stories unfold), but the flavor of the stories, and the voice of the author will stick with you. (I've found that to be true of much of Rushdie's writing—if you are going to enjoy Rushdie you probably won't mind this in the least.) A good introduction to this important author.

No comments:

Post a Comment