Saturday, December 10, 2011

Wild Flag [Music CD]

Wild Flag by Wild Flag

Dear Reader,

I would never lie to you.  And when I say to you that I like to rock, I hope you understand that what I am saying is an absolute truth.  Wild Flag's self-titled debut album is what rock n' roll ought to be: loud, fast, played live and without a lot of fuss.  This supergroup features ex-members of Sleater-Kinney, The Minders and Helium.  What stands out most to me musically is Carrie Brownstein's (of Portlandia fame) blistering riffs, the spirited drums fills of Janet Weiss and the harmony sound the four vocalists create.  The stellar musicianship of this bassless, garage rock quartet often propels these excellent songs into uncharted territory. 

Just a couple examples for you... The lead off track "Romance" has some reverbed out surf overtones and a chorus that can't help getting stuck in your head.  On "Glass Tambourine", the group certainly draws from the Nuggets archives, but then moves into a spaced out heavy jam that the late Jimi Hendrix would certainly appreciate.

I love this album and that's a fact!

Sincerely,
-JSM

P.S. Please enjoy this music video directed by Tom Scharpling.


Wild Flag - Romance from Merge Records on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment